This rolled sugar cookies recipe is perfect for Christmas cut-out Iced Sugar Cookies. These flavourful cookies have soft centres with crisp edges, and the icing hardens into a shiny glaze.
Making Iced Sugar Cookies is definitely a labour of love ~ but the extra time it takes for these home-made Christmas cookies is worth it. Keeping the batch small makes decorating these cookies more fun and less tedious.
Cut-out sugar cookies can be made at any time of year, but are especially fun at Christmas time with stocking, snowflake, and tree shapes. Ann Clark cookie cutters are amazing. They come in so many different holiday shapes and you can find them on Amazon.
For this batch, I made circle-shaped cookies and decorated them with decorator’s sugar and silver ball sprinkles to tie into my Winter Wonderland decor for the holidays.
Iced Sugar Cookies Baking Tips
- Sift dry ingredients ~ To ensure your cookies are soft with a cake-like texture.
- Use room temperature margarine ~ A spreadable consistency blends better.
- Use room temperature egg ~ Gives you fluffier cookies.
- Don’t over mix the dough ~ The dough will be handled when it’s rolled out.
- Refrigerate the dough ~ This allows the dough to thicken for easier rolling.
- Roll out dough on well-floured surface ~ Roll out the dough in small batches on a well-floured surface to prevent sticking.
- Don’t over-bake ~ Remove the cookies from the oven as soon as you see a light brown edge.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet ~ To ensure the cookies don’t lose their shape.
- Cool cookies completely before icing ~ If cookies are iced when warm the icing will melt.
- Use almond extract for icing ~ You can substitute with vanilla, but almond extract enhances this cookie’s flavour!
- Let cookies air dry for 24 hours ~ To allow the icing to set completely.
- Freeze cookies in a single layer ~ Layer cookies between parchment paper to prevent sticking.
With love from my kitchen to yours! What’s your favourite Christmas cookie? I’d love to know!
Don’t forget to give this fantastic recipe a Pin!
Iced Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 6 – 8 tbsp milk
- 4 tsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- decorator's sugar, sprinkles
- Mix icing sugar, margarine, egg, vanilla and almond extract. Mix in flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Divide dough into halves. Roll each half 3/16 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut into shapes.
- Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until edges are light brown, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Ice cookies and sprinkle with decorator's sugar or sprinkles.
- Let iced cookies air dry overnight before packaging.
- Mix all ingredients until smooth and of spreading consistency.