This blueberry lemon bread is loaded with fresh Fraser Valley blueberries and topped with a sweet lemon glaze. You’re going to love it!
It’s blueberry season in the Fraser Valley, so I always have fresh blueberries on hand for snacks or baking. Funk’s Blueberries is a family owned and operated farm located in Abbotsford, BC that offers u-pick as well as freshly picked and sorted blueberries.
Adding the lemon juice and lemon zest brings a freshness to this easy recipe. The glaze is what really makes this blueberry lemon bread delicious. A drop of pure lemon extract is the secret!
Here’s how to make it
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch pan. Butter and flour the pan. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl. In a bowl coat the blueberries lightly with flour, so they remain suspended in the batter. Using stand mixer whip the butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Mix in the eggs one at a time, and then add the vanilla.
Combine the dry and wet ingredients alternately one third at a time. Pour batter into the prepared pan, spread evenly and bake for 50 to 55 minutes. The bread will split slightly in the middle while baking. Test with toothpick and if its dry – it’s done. Let cool for 5 minutes and then invert onto serving dish.
In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice and pure lemon extract. The consistency should be pourable, but not too thin. You can drizzle the glaze over the bread using a spoon, but I prefer to use a piping bag. Let glaze set and it’s ready to slice!
Enjoy this lemon blueberry loaf with friends alongside a refreshing glass of home-made lemonade. Check out the pairing in A Refreshing Summer Table Setting.
Lemon Blueberry Bread
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs, large
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 drops pure lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pan.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of flour to the blueberries, toss to coat.
- Using a stand mixer, whip together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs one at a time and then add the vanilla.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients alternately one third at a time.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, spread evenly and bake for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let cool and invert onto serving dish.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and pure lemon extract. Drizzle over bread.
- Let glaze set then cut into slices.