This is no ordinary chicken pie! Chicken is teamed with bacon, mushrooms and onion and topped with a flavourful bread topping in this Log Cabin Chicken Pie.
Not only does this chicken pie smell wonderful – it tastes wonderful! This Log Cabin Chicken Pie is packed with large pieces of chicken, crisp bacon, mushrooms and onions. The flavour really comes through in the bread topping that is moistened with hot chicken stock, grated onion and poultry seasoning. It tastes just like home-made bread stuffing!
Chicken pie can be a one-dish meal, but why not take it up a notch. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes, steamed carrots or broccoli, and chicken gravy, of course! This is a comforting dinner that can be cooked up in no time at all.
I love home-made pastry, so I make the pie crust from scratch, but a frozen pie shell is always an option. Keep a few on hand at the cabin to make an easy meal with whatever leftovers you have.
If you have a busy day planned, this recipe can be prepared in the morning, then placed in the refrigerator until it is ready to be baked for dinner.
I use a glass pie plate for this recipe. Glass pie plates with handles are easy to rotate and remove from the oven. Plus, being able to see the pie crust browning through the bottom of the pan, helps to prevent over-baking.
Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Keep this recipe in mind for any leftover turkey you may have. It’s a fantastic way to use up leftover meat, and you can even add leftover mashed potatoes and vegetables too!
This is honestly the best Log Cabin Chicken Pie I have ever made!
This recipe has been featured in The Cabin Diary.
Log Cabin Chicken Pie
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening, room temperature
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-3 tbsp cold milk
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups rich chicken stock
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 3 cups chicken breast, diced
- 6 white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 10 slices of dry bread
- 1/2 medium onion, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp each of dried thyme, sage, marjoram
- 1 cup hot chicken stock
- Sift together 2 cups of flour and 1 tsp salt.
- Cut in 2/3 cup shortening.
- Blend together 1 slightly beaten egg and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Sprinkle over flour mixture, tossing lightly with fork. Add 1 to 3 tbsp cold milk.
- Roll out pastry and put in a 10 inch pan.
- Blend 3 tbsp flour and 1/4 cup cold water. Heat 1 1/2 cups rich chicken stock. Blend in flour mixture. Stir until thickened. Set aside.
- Cook bacon on medium heat until brown.
- Add 3 cups of diced chicken breast and brown.
- Add onion and mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add chicken broth to meat mixture. Spoon mixture into pastry shell and level evenly.
- Crush 10 slices of dried bread with rolling pin (about 3 cups). Place in large bowl.
- Add one medium grated onion and 1/2 tsp each of salt, pepper and dried thyme, sage and marjoram. Blend well.
- Moisten with the 1 cup hot chicken stock.
- Spread bread mixture over the filling evenly.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve with chicken gravy.